Thursday, May 31, 2007

Spirit (1968)


This is the debut album by Spirit from Los Angeles. Their music has a number of different influences including psychedelia, progressive rock, pop, folk, jazz, classical and Indian music. Because they touched on so many different styles of music, they never gained a wide audience but they were still highly regarded. Lead singer/guitarist Randy California (what a sweet name) was only a teenager during the recording of this album while the band's drummer was middle-aged, which sheds some light on their diverse musical approach. I find this to be an overall enjoyable album although sometimes it gets a bit too lost in proggy guitar and piano solos for my taste. It's incredibly well written, arranged and performed, despite lacking some cohesiveness as an album. I've yet to hear any of their other 11 albums but this one has made me eager to hear more.

Stand-Out Tracks:
"Fresh Garbage"
"Uncle Jack"
"Girl In Your Eye"
"Topanga Windows"
"Gramophone Man" (This one gets a little too proggy for me in the middle but it's still a great song.)

"Uncle Jack"


Download Spirit

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

DOWNLOAD GEHT NICHT BITTE NEUEN LINK

Anonymous said...

Check out The 12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus--it's Spirit's best album in my opinion and actually one of my favorite all-time 60s albums. Great songs and much more cohesive than their first album. The Family That Plays Together is really good too and includes their "hit" I Got A Line On You. The track Nature's Way from 12 Dreams used to get a lot of airplay too.

Anonymous said...

I would be difficult to better 12 Dreams, but since this is their first they hadn't produced it yet. So take the album for what it is a process forward.

rintesh said...

Thanks. I have looking for this!

Anonymous said...

These are genuinely enormous ideas in about blogging.
You have touched some nice points here. Any way keep up wrinting.



hautegoodgirl.com